#1 Leaving Ghosts on Server - how to fix

Go down

#1 Leaving Ghosts on Server - how to fix

Post  DM Ramen on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:30 am

Note from the Dev. Team: Since this bug is not exactly a bug that is auto-fixed for all without it being read here first, it has been stickied for your reference.

Example:
Hi,

I'm a new player here on the server, and the first character I created... took about 3 seconds to look around before the server crashed. I came back on, and my character was not avaliable to choose from on the server player list.

So, I created him again.

When I came into the world, my original character was now a NPC standing in the opening area of the Server.

I am stumped.

-------------------------------------------
Edit: SOLUTION
If you are playing NWN with other people on your same network, you need to edit your respective nwnplayer.ini files to prevent problems from occuring.

In your NWN folder (most likely C:\Program Files\NeverwinterNights\NWN) there is a file called "nwnplayer.ini". Go into it, open it in notepad. Search for a line called "Client Port=5120" and change that to something different like "Client Port=6120"

Do this for ONE of the two systems on your network only. That should create enough of a difference between em to have the server discern who's who.

Step by step instructions for the computer illiterate:
This may not work if you don't have the default installation:
-> Click the start button. Press "R"
-> A window called "Run" should appear asking you what to Open:
-> Type into that text box:
Code:
notepad C:\program files\nwn\nwnplayer.ini
-> A notepad window should open with the file open, whose first line should say "[Game Options]"
-> Press CTRL+F to find a string called "Client Port"
It should read Client Port=5120
-> Change it to Client Port=6120
-> Alt-F S to save the file. Close the file.
-> Restart NWN.

Make sure that each computer on your LAN that plays NWN uses a different, unique port! One computer be port 5120, the second be 6120, the third be 7120, etc

-------------------------------------------
DM Ramen
Admin

Male Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2008-12-04

View user profile http://nwnnaruto.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down