What's your way of the Ninja?!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here, answer some questions before I start? Thank you

2 posters

Go down

New here, answer some questions before I start? Thank you Empty New here, answer some questions before I start? Thank you

Post  Tippy Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Hello! I'm looking for things to do before I prep to go to the Navy (at least I hope.). I havn't played NWN in forever but I'm an avid Naruto fan and thanks to Jeric I'm taking a looksee here.
I've read the rules, and frankly they don't look user friendly nor memorable, and my usual personality/playstyle seems to be less than unsupported, more so like theres a wag-of-the finger to me.
Firstly, I'm new and before I start playing I'd like to ask some questions.

1) How am I supposed to remember all these rules, it almost seems like I need alot of PnP material to jolt down equations and dice rolls? Some help here would be appreciated, its very intimidating.
2)I often play a mercenary typey character with a calm demeanor who talks only when spoken to. I'm very quiet and withdrawn, so how can I relate this to a ninja... This server seems to point to ninjas only and a ranking system for improving ninja-only characters.
3)Sticking to Naruto canon, there may be some controversey with Naruto the Movie 2. The film introduced the western hemisphere and the steampunk/medieval atmosphere. Also the film introduced another form of metaphysical art differential to Ninjitsu.. Is it possible to play a mercenary-ish char from this hemisphere? Hell I might never surpass level 15 because I'm not a ninja, but I don't mind.
4)I'm a Naruto fan-boi. I've drawn parody comics in my sketchbook and other nerdy things. I've never imagined myself as a character who was a ninja, but rather a ninja-esk fighter who is curious about ninjitsu. Obviously Naruto displays that soldiers are untrained at anything but physical warfare, and in a world where ninjitsu seems so common place and accessable (or stealable) that no soldiers have picked it up and instead are slaughtered by adolescents with powers is slightly disappointing. I'd like to be the soldier kind of character who brakes that mold.
5)I'm know I type alot, but bear with me for this last one. Ninja are not soldiers, and they seem to resemble more closely villages of guerilla bands who privatize warfare and capitalize upon it. If at all plausable, could my character make his way from a soldier to a ninja somehow? Reading the rules, it seems like there is a little resistance against soldier typey characters, and like you've given a middle finger to weapon users (like swords) but kunais, shuriken, and fuuma shurikens are not weapons, but tools? Naruto displays exceptional use with a kunai like a combat knife, does this mean even small arms like knives/daggers etc. are subject to a -4 (undescribed) penalty?

Okay, I know that was alot... I'm sorry. But I don't want any flak for trial and error and I'd like to get knowledgable of what I'm doing before I do it, and get a swift ban for being "that guy" who's so much different or tries to be. Thank you!! albino
Tippy
Tippy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

New here, answer some questions before I start? Thank you Empty Re: New here, answer some questions before I start? Thank you

Post  DM Anko Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Tippy wrote:Hello! I'm looking for things to do before I prep to go to the Navy (at least I hope.). I havn't played NWN in forever but I'm an avid Naruto fan and thanks to Jeric I'm taking a looksee here.
I've read the rules, and frankly they don't look user friendly nor memorable, and my usual personality/playstyle seems to be less than unsupported, more so like theres a wag-of-the finger to me.
Firstly, I'm new and before I start playing I'd like to ask some questions.

1) How am I supposed to remember all these rules, it almost seems like I need alot of PnP material to jolt down equations and dice rolls? Some help here would be appreciated, its very intimidating.
Its a lot to pick up on, but the basic rules are written in a book and given in game. Each jutsu has a rule, but you pretty much don't need to know that rule until you learn the jutsu.

2)I often play a mercenary typey character with a calm demeanor who talks only when spoken to. I'm very quiet and withdrawn, so how can I relate this to a ninja... This server seems to point to ninjas only and a ranking system for improving ninja-only characters.
It is ninja only characters. your best bet for a mercenary type would be Mist.

3)Sticking to Naruto canon, there may be some controversey with Naruto the Movie 2. The film introduced the western hemisphere and the steampunk/medieval atmosphere. Also the film introduced another form of metaphysical art differential to Ninjitsu.. Is it possible to play a mercenary-ish char from this hemisphere? Hell I might never surpass level 15 because I'm not a ninja, but I don't mind.
What are you talking about from the movie? What metaphysical art?

4)I'm a Naruto fan-boi. I've drawn parody comics in my sketchbook and other nerdy things. I've never imagined myself as a character who was a ninja, but rather a ninja-esk fighter who is curious about ninjitsu. Obviously Naruto displays that soldiers are untrained at anything but physical warfare, and in a world where ninjitsu seems so common place and accessable (or stealable) that no soldiers have picked it up and instead are slaughtered by adolescents with powers is slightly disappointing. I'd like to be the soldier kind of character who brakes that mold.
Kakashi isn't a kid, but very soldier like. How you play your shinobi is pretty much up to you.

5)I'm know I type alot, but bear with me for this last one. Ninja are not soldiers, and they seem to resemble more closely villages of guerilla bands who privatize warfare and capitalize upon it. If at all plausable, could my character make his way from a soldier to a ninja somehow? Reading the rules, it seems like there is a little resistance against soldier typey characters, and like you've given a middle finger to weapon users (like swords) but kunais, shuriken, and fuuma shurikens are not weapons, but tools? Naruto displays exceptional use with a kunai like a combat knife, does this mean even small arms like knives/daggers etc. are subject to a -4 (undescribed) penalty?

Think you need to reread the rules. Weapon fighters arn't "given the middle finger". They're actually prettey powerful.

Okay, I know that was alot... I'm sorry. But I don't want any flak for trial and error and I'd like to get knowledgable of what I'm doing before I do it, and get a swift ban for being "that guy" who's so much different or tries to be. Thank you!! albino

's ok. Questions are how you learn. Smile
DM Anko
DM Anko

Female Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

New here, answer some questions before I start? Thank you Empty Re: New here, answer some questions before I start? Thank you

Post  Tippy Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks, those're some pretty good answers.
The second movie had a guy in armor like a j-rpg game. Was a rather ridiculous movie, but it did set up the western hemisphere. They had that power of gelel or whatever it was called, which was like a source of magic. I don't remember to much..
And Mist eh? I'm not really the violent type like the majority of the Mist. Though I do look for good fights, however the pvp doesn't sound like my cup-of tea. (Though the anime does feature all the stand-still internal monologues you could ever wish for. xD )

Hmm, maybe its just not a server for me. As for "ninja-only" I just realised this is a Naruto server... In Naruto's world anyone who can graduate an academy is a ninja xD (Thats anyone who can throw a kunai, throw a punch, throw a fireball, throw anything else but the kitchen sink.. maybe that too idk.) I'll give it a try anyway.
Tippy
Tippy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Anko Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 am

Tippy wrote:Thanks, those're some pretty good answers.
The second movie had a guy in armor like a j-rpg game. Was a rather ridiculous movie, but it did set up the western hemisphere. They had that power of gelel or whatever it was called, which was like a source of magic. I don't remember to much..
And Mist eh? I'm not really the violent type like the majority of the Mist. Though I do look for good fights, however the pvp doesn't sound like my cup-of tea. (Though the anime does feature all the stand-still internal monologues you could ever wish for. xD )

Hmm, maybe its just not a server for me. As for "ninja-only" I just realised this is a Naruto server... In Naruto's world anyone who can graduate an academy is a ninja xD (Thats anyone who can throw a kunai, throw a punch, throw a fireball, throw anything else but the kitchen sink.. maybe that too idk.) I'll give it a try anyway.

Oh the stone. Yeah, it focused chakra or something. I don't know, we don't have much like that on the server.
DM Anko
DM Anko

Female Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down